Thursday, April 26, 2007

11,935 Either/Or Instances Superimposed In Five Layers - screen prints



These prints are aptly named, as there are literally 11,935 either/or events that led to image you see above. I began by drafting a grid of 4x4" squares, and using rubylith, flipped a coin to determine whether a given cell of rubylith would be peeled away from the positive or left intact. I did this in five layers, each time dividing the previous square into four new cells, the final layer consisting of 1/4" cubes. Knowing I wanted to print this during the fall semester, I began this work in the summer because it took nearly a month just to draft, and the fact that it didn't land me in a psych ward still amazes me. I ended up taking a set of quarters which I colored on one side with a black marker to make the faces more distinguishable, and scattering them across the floor, then recorded their pattern. I probably walked around for a month with tiny rubylith cubes stuck to my jeans and in my hair. I enjoy the fact that this print looks like it was drafted by a computer, or could have been, but was actually obsessively drafted by hand. While a machine could have burped out this image in a fraction of a second, I would never have had the chance to digest how the image unfolded, cell by cell, had I not spent hours staring at it. 30x22", yellow/green - edition of 8, blue/grey - edition of 5.