Thursday, April 26, 2007

87 Degrees, Relatively High Humidity - screen print


Every so often an artwork just seems to work effortlessly, and I feel this is the case with this print, which is still one of my favorites, and unfortunately, one I printed in a very small edition. Part of the attraction for me of working in the manner I did (drafting screen print positives by randomly cutting hundreds of pieces of rubylith) was that you never knew what was going to happen until you finally inked up the screen. These prints are methodically and fastidiously planned out, yet the end product is completely veiled until it is printed. I often stood for several minutes examining how each ink run layered with the last, trying to understand how the print was built up to an incredibly complex image from only a few simple variables or parameters. 21x30", edition of 5.